The Columbus Coal & Lime Co. was founded in 1888 by Carl Niermeyer who immigrated to the United States from Germany with his brother Fredrick at age 16. Carl, with the help of three other investors, became a business owner at the age of 40 and eventually bought out the other investors. As the name reflects, the company began selling coal and coke to residential and commercial customers as well as lime, cement, and brick.
The second generation of Niermeyer’s, Charles H Niermeyer, took control in the 1920’s and saw the company successfully through the depression. He expanded into plaster and finish lime for interior wall construction.
The company started selling more brick from its original Mound Street location under the third generation, John H. Niermeyer, in the 1940’s. With the construction of interstate Interstate 70, Columbus Coal moved to its new location in Historic Franklinton. This location would not allow a permit for the storage and sale of coal, so the company continued to expand in masonry supply.
In 1972, after the death of his father, John (Larry) Niermeyer took over leadership of the company. He added construction-use chemicals, garage doors and tile. While the chemical coatings and sealants have continued to be a success, tile and garage doors did not make it through the 1970’s. Larry also added a location for the company in Newark, OH. The subsidiary operates under the name Granville Builders Supply. In addition to the products the Columbus Coal handles, Granville Builders carry products specific to its market.
Now under the leadership of a fifth generation. Katherine Niermeyer Gatterdam and Rich Gatterdam, the company continues to provide masonry materials as well as concrete restoration chemicals and rebar fabrication to both the residential and commercial construction industries.
The Columbus Coal and Lime Co. is more than the Niermeyer Family. It is generations of employees, their families, friends, vendors, and customers. We are here to provide knowledge and service.